Join the Slack Team Page
The Global 500 (Fortune Magazine), click here
Topic 1: What is international trade and globalization? How do we measure international trade?
- Krugman, Obstfeld, and Melitz (KOM), “World Trade: An Overview” (Chapter 2).
- Edward E. Leamer, “A Flat World, A Level Playing Field, a Small World After All, or None of the Above?” Journal of Economic Literature, March 2007, 83-126.
- Dani Rodrik, “(Chapter 2) The Rise and Fall of the First Great Globalization,” The Globalization Paradox: Democracy and the Future of the World Economy, (Norton, New York, 2011).
Topic 2: What determines how much countries import and export? What role does trade finance play?
- KOM, Chapter 3, Labor Productivity and Comparative Advantage
- KOM, Chapter 5, Resources and Trade: The Heckscher-Ohlin Model
- Ricardo Haussman, Jason Hwang, and Dani Rodrik, "What You Export Matters," Journal of Economic Growth, Volume 12, Issue 1, 2007, 1-25.
- Rodrick, “(Chapter 6) The Foxes and Hedgehogs of Finance.”
- Jean-Pierre Chauffour and Mariem Malouche, eds., “Overview,” Trade Finance During the Great Trade Collapse, (World Bank, Washington, DC, 2011).
- Lawrence McNeil and Daniel Perez, “The Impact of Trade Finance on International Trade: Does Financial Development Matter.” Research in Business and Economics Journal, 2013.
Topic 3: What is foreign direct investment and offshoring? How are these activities related to trade and globalization?
- KOM, Chapter 8, Firms in the Global Economy: Export Decisions, Outsourcing, and MNEs
- Ralph Kozlow, “Globalization, Offshoring, and Multinational Companies: What Are the Questions and How Well Are We Doing in Answering Them?” Bureau of Economic Analysis Working Paper, 2006.
- Alan Blinder, “Offshoring: The Next Industrial Revolution?,” Foreign Affairs, 85(2), 2006, 113-128.
- Gene Grossman and Esteban Rossi-Hansberg, "The Rise of Offshoring: It's Not Wine for Cloth Anymore," Princeton University, August 2006.
NPR - The T-Shirt Economy
Topic 4: What are the gains from (free) trade? Does trade create winners and losers? Is there a clear relationship between trade and economic growth?
- KOM, Chapter 9, The Instruments of Trade Policy
- KOM, Chapter 11, Trade Policy in Developing Countries
- Rodrick, “(Chapter 3) Why Doesn’t Everyone Get the Case for Free Trade?”
- Robert Driskill, “Deconstructing the Arguments for Free Trade,” unpublished, February 2008. http://www.vanderbilt.edu/econ/faculty/Driskill/Deconstructing2008Feb09.pdf
- Rodrick, “(Chapter 7) Poor Countries in a Rich World.”
- Ann Harrison, “Globalization and Poverty,” NBER Working Paper No. 12347, July 2006.
- Lawrence McNeil and Sonja Langley, “Trade and Foreign R&D Spillovers: Industry-Level Evidence from South America,” Journal of International Business and Economics.
Topic 5: How do the costs of transactions, transportation, and technology affect import and export volumes?
- David Hummels, “Transportation Costs and International Trade in the Second Era of Globalization.” Journal of Economic Perspectives, 2007.
- Jean Francois Arvis, et. al., "Trade Costs in the Developing World." World Bank Policy Research Working Paper 6309, 2010.